Back in 2001, TopSoccer was the first of the TOPSPORTS Programs to launch. It was formed out of need and frankly desperation by a group of parents whose children have autism. Since its humble beginnings, TOPSPORTS has branched out to engage hundreds of children with special needs in organized, recreational activities.
Thankfully, TOPSPORTS has had a huge showing of support by the community. It may sound like a simple concept, but in fact it is truly difficult for parents to find a program where their children are accepted for whom they are and what their limitations may be. All children crave social interaction and the basic sports programs offered in our communities are designed for typical children. Our children are not typical. As parents, we travel from Perkasie, King of Prussia, New Jersey, Bucks County and every corner of Philadelphia to give our children the 'typical' sporting activities.
Some quick facts:
• More than 70 children from ages 3 to 16 bowl weekly at New Brunswick Zone.
• Basketball is so popular that two sessions are offered by age category at Parkwood Youth.
• Fifty children participate in the oldest of the TOPSPORTS – Soccer at Lighthouse Field.
• Eight local college and high school teams have sent their players to volunteer coach the soccer and basketball programs.
• Over 200 different children participate in our programs
In 2006, the TOPSPORTS logo was created to make sure everyone knew that we had multiple activities and not just one sport.